Marymount University Undergraduate Catalog 2007-2008
MU Undergraduate Catalog » General Information»

Financial Information

The following financial information applies to the 2009-10 academic year.


Undergraduate Student Rate

Consortium Tuition

Payment for consortium credits is due at the time of registration. Marymount consortium students pay the Marymount tuition rate to the Marymount Student Accounts Office. Credits taken through the consortium are counted toward full-time/part-time status at Marymount for the purposes of financial aid. All applicable fees are to be paid by the student to the visited institution.

Refunds and credits to accounts for consortium courses follow the Marymount refund schedule.

Tuition Payment

Due Dates

Fall Semester - August 7, 2009
Spring Semester - January 8, 2010
Summer Sessions I and III - May 3, 2010
Summer Session IV - May 28, 2010
Summer Session II - June 14, 2010

Monthly late payment fees of $65 will be assessed to all delinquent accounts. All payments must be made in U.S. currency and drawn on U.S. banks. Marymount University accepts cash, checks, money orders, credit cards (American Express, MasterCard or Visa only), and ACH (Automated Clearing House) electronic transfers. Do not mail cash. Checks and money orders must be made payable to Marymount University. All checks and money orders must include the student’s ID number, address, and phone number on the face of the check. All returned checks are subject to a $45 service fee.

If, for any reason, a parent, a guardian, an employer, or an embassy does not honor their financial obligation to the University on behalf of the student, the student will be held responsible for those financial obligations.

A student’s pending class registration is subject to cancellation if there is a prior-term unpaid balance on the student’s account.

In the event a student has a question about charges on his or her account, the student should bring the amount in question to the attention of the Student Accounts Office. The student does not have to pay that amount while it is being reviewed. However, the student is obligated to pay all parts of the bill that are not in question no later than the due date.

Address Changes

It is each student’s responsibility to keep the Registrar’s Office informed about any changes in his or her home, local residence and/or billing address; phone number; and/or e-mail address. Students may submit a change in one of three ways:

When submitting the change by mail or fax, the student should include his/her full name, student ID number, the former address; the new address for home, local residence, and billing purposes; a current e-mail address; and his/her signature.



When a first member of a family pays full-time undergraduate tuition, any additional family members concurrently enrolled in the full-time undergraduate program may receive a 25-percent tuition waiver. Family is defined as siblings, parents and dependent children, or married couples. The full-time enrollment of concurrent family members is required for the entire semester.

Senior Citizens

As a service to senior citizens, the University offers to persons 65 years or older a 50-percent tuition waiver for undergraduate and graduate courses. Applicants must first meet all regular admission criteria for either degree candidacy or nondegree status.

Catholic School Employees

Employees of Catholic schools specified by the University are eligible for a 50-percent tuition waiver on the regular rate for undergraduate Education programs (waiver does not apply to reduced-tuition programs) under the following conditions:

See the Graduate Catalog for details about this policy regarding the University’s graduate programs.



Room and Board

Commuter Meal Plans

New Student Fee

A one-time new student fee is assessed for all degree-seeking students in their first semester. All new students will pay this fee to cover such items as student ID cards, Orientation, and new student programs. Students entering in the fall, spring, or summer will be assessed the fee as follows:

A degree-seeking student who previously attended Marymount will be charged the Transfer Student fee upon re-enrollment.

Student Government Activity Fee

All full-time undergraduate students pay a Student Government Activity Fee of $35 per semester ($70 per academic year).

Technology Fee

Students will be assessed a Technology Fee each fall, spring, and summer semester of $7.50 per credit up to a maximum of $90 per semester. This fee supports technologies that enrich the learning environment. The following are some examples of services and initiatives funded by this fee: computer labs, updates to the course management system (Blackboard), expanded on-campus wireless access, and help desk services. In addition, some courses require that students purchase stand-alone computer software and/or textbook software packages.

Course/Program Fees

Applied Arts: $65 per course
AA 250, 265, 270, 272, 350, 365, 370, 372, 385, 395,
407, 414, 415, 418, 420

Astronomy: $65 per lab
ASTR 101

Biology: $65 per course
BIO 110, 111, 120

Biology: $90 per lab
BIO 151, 152, 161, 162, 250, 260, 262, 272, 368, 449

Chemistry: $125 per lab
CHM 125, 151, 152, 221, 222

Communication: $65 per course
COM 200, 203, 205, 308, 404

Communication: $125 per course
COM 304

Criminal Justice: $65 per course
CJ 308, 309

Fine Arts: $65 per course
FA 211, 251, 253, 309, 350, 353

Geology: $65 per lab
GEOL 102

Graphic Design: $65 per course
GD 200, 202, 203, 205, 255, 302, 305, 308, 360,
401, 404, 405

Graphic Design: $125 per course
GD 304

Interior Desig: $65 per course
ID 111, 201, 202, 212, 214, 303, 304, 313,
405, 406, 412, 485, 487

Nursing Clinical Fees: $175 per clinical
NU 236, 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 400, 400OL, 490

Nursing Lab Fees
NU 231: $185
NU 302: $65

Nursing NCLEX Preparation Fee
NU 425: $315

Nursing Test Fees
NU 331 $385
NU 427OL $50

Paralegal Studies program admission: $70

Physics: $90 per lab
PHYS 171, 172

Student-teaching application: $115

Portfolio Assessment reading fee: $235 per portfolio

Portfolio Assessment credit hour fee: $235 per credit hour

Late Registration Fee

A $65 fee is charged if registration is not completed prior to the last day of Final Registration.

Continuous Registration Fee

A Continuous Registration fee of $45 is payable at registration each semester to maintain registration when not matriculating in classes. Any student wishing to maintain Continuous Registration in absentia will be charged a fee of $45 per semester payable at regularly scheduled registration dates. More information on continuous registration.

Alumni Course Audit Fee

For a fee of $210 per course, Marymount alumni may audit up to two courses per semester, if the enrollment limit has not been reached during registration and approval has been granted by the associate dean. No credit or grade will be awarded for the course. Interested alumni should contact the Office of Alumni Relations.


New Resident Students

For new freshman and sophomore students who are 21 years of age or younger and entering in the fall semester with fewer than 60 transferable credits, a $300 nonrefundable deposit is required by May 1 to reserve a place in a residence hall. For those students entering residence halls in the spring semester, a $300 nonrefundable deposit is required by November 1.

Transfer students who are 21 years of age or younger entering with 60 or more transferable credits will be accommodated in student housing or University-sponsored off-campus housing on a space-available basis. If space is available, a $300 nonrefundable deposit is required by June 15 to reserve a place for the fall semester and by December 1 for the spring semester.

If housing is available after the deposit deadlines, applicants must make the deposit within 15 days of acceptance.

The one-time $300 housing deposit, submitted prior to filling out the Housing Application, will be rolled over from year to year until the resident leaves University housing. Unless the University approves or grants a deferral of the housing deposit, a student who chooses to decline or discontinue residence in University housing remains liable for the payment of the housing deposit in accordance with the housing contract.

New Commuter students

A $100 nonrefundable deposit is required from freshman and transfer commuter students to confirm an intention to enroll. This is credited toward tuition charges upon registration.


Marymount University offers all students enrolled for at least 9 credits the opportunity to participate in a 12-month (August-August) accident and sickness plan. Rates and terms are available at the beginning of each academic year. Resident students are automatically covered as part of their room and board fees.

Accident and health insurance is mandatory for all international students on nonimmigrant F-1 visas, NCAA student-athletes, cheerleaders, Physical Therapy students, and Nursing students enrolled in clinical programs. These students will be required to obtain the University-approved policy and will automatically be charged the insurance premium.

F-1 visa students and Nursing and Physical Therapy students who already have adequate medical insurance may waive the plan if they produce acceptable documentation of coverage in Virginia.

Please refer to the plan information, available at the beginning of the academic year, regarding enrollment dates. Marymount’s accident and health insurance plan is administered through the University’s Student Health Center.

Collection Policy

A student who fails to pay in full as scheduled will have his/her transcripts, registration, and diploma withheld until the outstanding balance is paid in full. The University will make every effort to contact the student and collect the outstanding balance. However, if the University’s attempts are unsuccessful, the account will be turned over to an agency for collection or to attorneys for litigation. The student will be responsible for all costs, including collection agency fees (331/3 percent on the assigned balance), attorney fees, and variable court costs.

Refunds and Credits to Student Accounts

Credit Balance Refunds

Credit balance refunds will be processed generally within 14 days of the receipt of a written request to the Student Accounts Office. The University does not issue refunds in cash; only check and credit card refunds are issued.

Credit for Tuition and Fee Charges

To be eligible to receive a credit for tuition and fee charges, a student must officially withdraw from a class or separate from the University. Credit for tuition and fee charges will be calculated based on the actual withdrawal or separation date.

Semester Courses

Week Fall/Spring Summer Type of Credit
By end of week 1 100% 75% Tuition and fees
By end of week 2 75% 50% Tuition only
By end of week 3 50% 25% Tuition only
After week 3 0% 0%  

Weekend and Concentrated Courses

Students are eligible for a 100 percent credit for tuition and fee charges if the class is dropped at least 31 days before the class begins. A 75 percent credit for tuition and fee charges will be given if the class is dropped within 30 days of the start of the class. No credit for tuition and fee charges will be given once classes have begun.

Class/University Withdrawal Policy

In order to receive a credit for tuition and fee charges in accordance with the advertised refund/withdrawal period, a student must officially withdraw from a class, even if someone other than the student registered him or her for the class. Failure to do so will constitute a financial obligation to the University because classroom seats reserved during registration continue to be held for a student until he/she officially withdraws from the class. Stopping payment on a tuition check or credit card authorization or not attending a class does not constitute an official withdrawal from class.

A student who received financial aid should check with the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from any classes. Federal financial aid recipient refunds will be determined based on the federal pro-rata refund regulations. Information and examples of federal pro-rata refunds are available in the Financial Aid Office.

See procedural information for withdrawing from a class. See additional information on separating from the University.

Withdrawal After Expiration of Tuition-and-Fee Credit Period

A student who withdraws from one or all classes after the tuition-and-fee credit period does not qualify for a refund unless there are extraordinary circumstances such as a documented medical emergency. A medical withdrawal usually constitutes complete withdrawal from the University for the academic period in question. Medical withdrawals will be granted solely for established medical purposes prior to a student taking final exams. Medical withdrawals due to illness in the family will be granted only if the attending physician stipulates that the student is needed to care for the family member.

A written request for a medical withdrawal, accompanied by documentation, should be addressed to the associate vice president for Academic Affairs.

Credit For Room And Board Charges

If a student moves out of the residence halls before the end of the semester, credit for room and board will be calculated as outlined in the resident contract for that semester. Meal plans will be adjusted appropriately based on the specific circumstances of the student’s departure. Appeals of any charges must be submitted in writing to the Office of Housing and Residence Life during the semester the student departs the residence halls.

Credit For Commuter Meal Plan Charges

If a student requests a commuter meal plan and then decides not to use that plan, no credit will be given for its cost. Commuter meal plans expire at the end of each semester.

Payment Plans

A payment plan is available to qualifying students. All arrangements, including the initial payment, must be completed at least one week prior to the payment due date. Students may set up pay plans on an annual basis for the academic year (fall and spring) or by the semester. Whether selecting either the annual or by-semester plan, payments are made as follows:

All or part of each semester’s costs may be budgeted with no interest rate assessed. A nonrefundable enrollment fee of $55 is required to apply for the annual plan. Individual semester plans require a nonrefundable enrollment fee of $35. Applications are available from TuitionPay at (800) 635-0120 or online at

Students who need further assistance may call the Student Accounts Office, (703) 284-1490.


Information on veterans’ benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs is available in the Office of the Registrar,
(703) 284-1520.

Financial Aid

The Marymount University program of financial aid attempts to help those students who have academic potential and limited financial resources. In addition, scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate outstanding academic potential and performance, with financial need considered but not a prerequisite.

The objective of all federal and most state aid programs is to provide opportunities for those who would not be able to complete their college education without financial assistance. Certain states, such as the Commonwealth of Virginia, award grants without regard to financial need to those students who apply and can prove state residence.

Eligibility for Need-based Aid

Financial aid is any grant, scholarship, loan, or paid employment offered for the express purpose of helping a student meet educationally related expenses. Determining how much financial aid a student will receive is calculated in the following manner:

  1. The budget for a student’s academic year living and educational expenses is determined, taking into account factors such as residence, enrollment, and dependence.
  2. The expected contribution by the student and family toward the student’s yearly expenses is determined through a federal formula.
  3. The resources contributed by the student and family are subtracted from the budget, and the remaining amount is referred to as the student’s “financial need.”

Financial Aid Application Procedure

Students seeking financial aid through grants, loans, Federal Work-Study, and scholarships that require the filing of a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) should follow these steps to apply:

  1. Complete the FAFSA online at The FAFSA must be completed by both new and currently enrolled undergraduate students for each year they seek financial aid. The information is analyzed and a report is sent to the University on the estimated contribution expected from the family or the self-supporting student. Marymount’s federal school code is 003724.
  2. Financial aid applications must be submitted by March 1 for each academic year in which financial assistance is sought.

Awards are offered when applications are complete and the student has been accepted for enrollment into a degree program.

Types of Aid


DC Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) Grant is a need-based program for undergraduates who meet DC residency requirements. Applicants must enroll at least half time in a degree program. Students must follow financial aid application procedures. The DCLEAP application must also be completed. It can be found online at

The Federal Pell Grant program provides federal gift aid for students. The grants range from $400 to $4,300 a year based on enrollment status. Eligibility is determined by the federal government. A student applies for this grant by following the financial aid application procedures. Repayment is not required.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a grant for eligible full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. Awards range from $100 to $4,000 per academic year. Students must follow financial aid application procedures to apply.

Marymount Tuition Assistance Grants are sponsored by the University to make education affordable for as many full-time, first-degree undergraduate students as possible. To apply, students must follow financial aid application procedures. Awards are based on an indication of financial need.

The Virginia State College Scholarship Assistance Program (CSAP) is available to Virginia residents who will be full-time undergraduates and who demonstrate financial need. Students must file for the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant and follow the financial aid application procedure. Repayment is not required.

The Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) Program, not based on financial need, is available to all legal Virginia residents who are full-time students. The amount of the award varies each academic year based on state funding. Awards will be made by the Commonwealth to students who file their applications by July 31. Repayment is not required. Late applications will be considered if funds are available. For further information, contact the Financial Aid Office. The program is funded by the Commonwealth of Virginia.


The Federal PLUS Loan may be used to supplement other financial aid programs. Parents of dependent undergraduates are eligible to apply for this loan each academic year at a variable interest rate. Eligibility is based on credit worthiness. Students must follow the financial aid application procedures. Specific details may be obtained by contacting the Financial Aid Office.

The Federal Stafford Loan is for students enrolled on at least a half-time basis in a degree program; it enables them to borrow an annual amount based on their grade level and length of program. The federal government will pay the interest until the repayment period begins, six months after the student leaves school. The Financial Aid Office provides information on obtaining the loan with award letter notification. Students must complete the financial aid application process and demonstrate need in order to qualify. A Federal Unsubsidized Stafford Loan is available for those who do not demonstrate need. The terms are the same as those for the Federal Stafford Loan except that the student is responsible for the interest while in school.

Students who plan to pay tuition through a Federal Stafford Loan should apply for this loan in time for it to be processed before registration.

The Federal Perkins Loan is a program providing long-term loans to students who demonstrate financial need and are capable of academic performance at an acceptable level. No interest accrues on the loan as long as the borrower remains at least a half-time student. Interest begins to accrue nine months after the borrower ceases to be at least a half-time student. The interest accrues at the rate of five percent per year. There are special cancellation provisions for borrowers who either become teachers in designated schools educating students from low-income families, or are teachers of handicapped students or students in Head Start programs. Students must follow financial aid application procedures.


Marymount University offers several performance-based Academic/Service Scholarships. All scholarships are designed for full-time, first-degree undergraduates, and can be applied to undergraduate tuition only, unless otherwise specified. Transfer students are eligible for some scholarships as well. Please see the following list for eligibility criteria and other details about Academic/Service Scholarships. Students interested in these scholarships should contact the Office of Admissions.

Marymount also has a number of need-based and merit scholarships funded by generous donors to the University. Students deserving consideration for such scholarships are typically identified by a School or department within the University. Such students are provided with criteria for the awarding of the scholarship as well as procedural information to apply for the award.

Academic/Service Scholarships

Freshman Academic Scholarship
Guaranteed for new full-time freshman students who have a high school cumulative average of B+ or better and a combined SAT score of 1100 or higher. The scholarship is renewable for four years for students who maintain academic eligibility.

Presidential Scholarship
The University’s most competitive freshman scholarship program. To be considered, students must have a combined SAT score of 1200 or higher and at least a B average. This scholarship is renewable for full-time students maintaining eligibility. All Presidential Scholarship recipients are encouraged to apply to the Honors Program, which carries an additional scholarship award.

Clare Boothe Luce Scholarship
Offered pursuant to a major bequest to the University by Mrs. Luce. The fund provides scholarships to highly qualified female undergraduates to encourage them to enter; study; and earn a degree in biology, information technology with a computer science specialty, or mathematics. Students committed to further study in the medical sciences are not eligible. Graduating high school seniors, transfer students, and currently enrolled students may apply. Awards are made solely on the basis of merit and are calculated to include the cost of tuition and/or room and board. Eligibility is limited to women who are U.S. citizens and enrolled full time. Applications received by February 1 will be given priority consideration; late applications are accepted until May 1, contingent upon funding.

Spirit of Service Scholarship
Offered to students who have met high academic standards and have an outstanding record of volunteer service activity in their high school, church, and/or community agencies. The award can be added to any existing Marymount merit scholarships. Spirit of Service Scholarship awards range from $2,500 to $5,000. Scholars must continue full-time enrollment, maintain good academic standing, and complete 60 hours of volunteer service work each semester.

Transfer Academic Scholarship
A competitive scholarship for new full-time transfer students. To be considered, students must present transfer credit for 30 semester credits or more with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or better and intend to earn their first bachelor’s degree from Marymount. The scholarship is renewable for full-time students maintaining eligibility. Deadline is May 1.

Student Employment

Federal Work-Study (FWS)
This program makes on-campus jobs available to students with demonstrated financial need. Federal Work-Study eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office. To qualify for this program, students must be eligible to work in the U.S. and be enrolled full time at the time of application.

All students in this program are paid by paycheck on the 15th and the last day of each month worked. The earnings are not directly applied to student accounts. Before students can be paid, they will be required to complete federally mandated employment paperwork, including an I-9 form, which establishes identity and work authorization, as well as federal and state tax forms. Students may also elect to complete a direct deposit form to have their paycheck sent directly to a bank near home or in the Arlington area. Students must also follow financial aid application procedures by filing a FAFSA.

Campus Employment
The University employs a large number of full-time students and pays them from its own resources. Students who are not eligible for FWS awards may apply for employment under this program. Students apply for jobs through the Student Campus Employment Office. See student campus employment for more information.

« Back to Marymount University | Top of page | Sitemap